What I learned upgrading from MunkiReport 2 to MunkiReport 3

The setup for the old (version 2) MunkiReport was fairly simple. You essentially just downloaded the folder to your web server.

The setup for the new (version 3) MunkiReport has a bit more nuance to it. I had a lot of trouble setting it up, but thanks to some help from other Mac admins (special thanks to Rick Heil for getting me over the finish line), I was able to finally get it up and running.

Here are a few issues I ran into. Maybe if you're running into the same or similar issues, this list may help:

  • Ubuntu 16.04 doesn't have PHP 7.0.27 or higher, which the new version of MunkiReport requires, so I had to add it in with the appropriate PPA.
  • On a related note, once you add that PPA to your sources.list in Ubuntu, you get a whole ton of PHP versions available via apt: 7.0, 7.1, 7.2. It's best to make sure you have only version of PHP installed and remove all the rest. I'd recommend 7.2 at this point.
  • It's a good idea to start with the sqlite database just to eliminate MySQL connection issues as a possibility. That said, since the main MunkiReport 3 files don't live in the public-facing part of the web server, be especially mindful of this part of the wiki instructions: when using SQLite as backend (which is the default), check if the directory /app/db/ is writeable by the webserver.
  • If you're using AD or SAML authentication, move it up in the composer.json file from suggest to require and get rid of the description after the version number. For example, "adldap2/adldap2": "^8.0 Required for AD authentication" should change to "adldap2/adldap2": "^8.0" after being moved.
  • If you're running the composer command and get a [RuntimeException] The "--no-suggest" option does not exist. message, just ditch the --no-suggest part of the command.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.